Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Collection National Woman's Party Fine Art Collection
Catalog Number 1963.002.002
Object Name Painting
Title Portrait painting of "Elizabeth Cady Stanton" by Harriet Stanton de Forest, n.d.
Date n.d.
Description Framed portrait of Elizabeth Cady Stanton (1815-1902) painted in oil on canvas by Harriet Stanton de Forest (1909-2008). In the portrait, Elizabeth Cady Stanton is wearing a black lace veil on her white hair. She is a black shawl over a navy blue dress with a white collar and a round brooch. She is seated with her left hand resting on a small table with an open book, her right hand at her face, and a bookshelf behind her. The wood frame is painted brown. [See notes about frame] This portrait, and one of Frances Willard [Accession# 1963.002; Object ID# 1963.002.1], by the same artist, were unveiled at the Alva Belmont House on June 29, 1963 on the occasion of a meeting of the International Council of Women. Alva Belmont House was renamed Sewall-Belmont House and Museum when it was placed on the National Register in 1972. [See "People, Classification, Subjects, Search Terms" below for biographical information on the artist and sitter.]
Artist de Forest, Harriet Stanton, 1909-2008
Dimensions H-37.5 W-32.5 inches
Material Oil on canvas, painted wood frame
People Stanton, Elizabeth Cady, 1815-1902
de Forest, Harriet Stanton, 1909-2008
Subjects Fine art
Painting, portrait
Oil on canvas
Stanton, Elizabeth Cady, 1815-1902
de Forest, Harriet Stanton, 1909-2008
Art
International Council of Women
National Woman's Party
Painting
Portrait paintings
Portraits
Women
Woman
Women suffrage
Women's rights
Search Terms Fine art
Painting, portrait
Oil on canvas
Stanton, Elizabeth Cady, 1815-1902
de Forest, Harriet Stanton, 1909-2008
Art
International Council of Women
National Woman's Party
Painting
Portrait paintings
Portraits
Women
Woman
Women suffrage
Women's rights
Provenance Unveiled June 24, 1963 at the Alva Belmont House on the occasion of a meeting of the International Council of Women. Found in the Sewall-Belmont House and Museum collection.